E3 2021 recap: All the big news, major reveals and must-see trailers
The E3 2021 conference is now over, with the gaming industry’s biggest week of news wrapping up for another year. And if you weren’t watching along at home yourself, you might be wondering about the most talked-about reveals and best trailers.
The E3 2021 schedule was fairly packed with announcements from big-name companies, with Sony and EA being the only major names not to appear. Nintendo and Bandai Namco both hosted live streams on the final day of the conference, with earlier slots during the week falling to Ubisoft, Gearbox, Warner Bros, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive, Razer, Xbox and Bethesda.
We saw new trailers for huge upcoming games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2, Back 4 Blood and Starfield, as well as announcements of brand new titles including a Guardians of the Galaxy game, WarioWare: Get It Together and Metroid Dread.
And that’s not even half of it! To check our handy recap of all the major news from E3 2021, keep on reading and we’ll break it all down for you, starting with the most recent day of the conference and working backwards from there.
E3 2021 recap (Tuesday 15th June)
Nintendo, Bandai Namco and Yooreka Studio were all on the schedule for this final day of E3 2021. There was also a stream hosted by GameSpot and an awards ceremony honouring the best bits of the conference. Here’s the news you might have missed:
Nintendo E3 2021 recap
It’s always an exciting day when a fully-fledged Nintendo Direct takes place, in fact, Nintendo has had the highest viewership in E3 according to Streamhatchet. Here is the rundown of the best bits:
- Kazuya is coming to Super Smash Bros Ultimate for a Tekken crossover.
- Square Enix’s Guardians of the Galaxy game will launch on Nintendo Switch.
- Metroid Dread trailer reveals a brand new 2D Metroid game.
- Worms Rumble comes to Switch on 23rd June 2021.
- Post-launch additional content confirmed for Mario Golf Super Rush.
- Shin Megami Tensei V is launching exclusively on Nintendo Switch on 12th November 2021.
- A new WarioWare game, WarioWare: Get It Together, revealed for the first time – and it will include multiplayer!
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which is aiming for a 2022 release.
At last, there is more information for the revealed Breath of the Wild sequel! The sequel will be released in 2022, which Nintendo doubled down on in a tweet.
PC Gaming Show and Future Games Show, E3 2021 recap
Vampire the Masquerade: Swan Song looks like it could be fun. Big Bad Wolf
These two wildcard shows (where any company can show up and drop a reveal) are always worth checking in on, especially because this is where you’ll see interesting smaller games that don’t have a huge company behind them. You can rewatch the PC Gaming Show and the Future Games Show online, or check out our quick recap of the bits which caught our eye:
- New gameplay footage for Two Point Campus, the sequel to Two Point Hospital.
- Overcooked celebrates its fifth anniversary with free downloadable content coming 9th August 2021.
- Story details and more revealed in the new Dying Light 2 trailer.
- Valve’s Gabe Newell announces Steam Next Fest event, bringing free demos and games to Steam from 16th June to 22nd June.
- A new Hello Neighbour 2 trailer was revealed.
- Sonic Colours Ultimate gameplay video shows off Tropical Resort Act 2.
- Vampire the Masquerade: Swan Song trailer reveals a bloodsucking RPG.
Xbox and Bethesda E3 2021 recap
We’ve finally had a proper look at Starfield.
Xbox and Bethesda teamed up for the first time at E3 2021, which makes total sense now that the companies have merged into one. You can watch their whole showcase online, or check out our summary below:
- Starfield release date confirmed as 11th November 2022, with the first in-game footage revealed – and it’s an Xbox exclusive!
- Halo Infinite multiplayer trailer arrives as Microsoft promises ‘holiday 2021’ release window.
- The hilarious first trailer for The Outer Worlds 2 confirms it’s in production.
- Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life trailer confirms an in-game crossover with Pirates of the Caribbean.
- STALKER 2: Heart of Chernobyl gameplay trailer confirms release date of April 28th 2022.
- Fallout 76 roadmap revealed, summing up Seasons 4, 5, 6 and 7.
- Doom Eternal and 9 more Bethesda games are coming to Xbox Game Pass.
- Forza Horizon 5 trailer confirms release date of November 9th 2021.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator console release date, on Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S, confirmed for 27th July 2021.
- Battlefield 2042 gameplay footage revealed.
- Arkane Austin’s next game, Redfall, revealed with a trailer.
E3 2021 recap (Saturday 12th June)
The first proper day of E3 2021 kicked off with a countdown and a pre-show live event, and then the news proper began to appear. The first full presentation was Ubisoft Forward, so let’s jump into that now.
Ubisoft Forward E3 2021 recap
- Ubisoft shared the first trailer for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, a video-game spinoff to the James Cameron film franchise.
- The Far Cry 6 Battle Pass was revealed, teasing that you’ll play as the villains for the first time.
- The sequel to Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, titled Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope, got its first trailer.
- Ubisoft promised another year of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla DLC, with the next chunk coming this summer.
- Rainbow Six Extraction gameplay trailer gave a closer look at the next Tom Clancy game.